Chelsea deny Terry has been told he will leave

Chelsea in
sist John Terry has not held talks over leaving Stamford
Bridge at the end of the season, with Antonio Conte
espousing his enduring importance to the Blues.
Captain Terry has featured in just five of Chelsea's 15
Premier League games this term, only one of which has
come since Conte switched to a three-man defence and
embarked on a nine-match winning run.
The former England captain was the subject of reports on
Tuesday that he had been told he would not be offered fresh
terms for next season, having only committed to the current
campaign in May – after revealing that he had been told
similar in January this year.
However, a Chelsea spokesman said: "It's the kind of
discussion we have with players much later in the season.
"That discussion has not taken place between John and
the club, it will take place later in the season."
And Conte was quick to laud Terry's continued impact on
the first team from behind the scenes.
"John is our captain and I think he's doing a good job," said
the Italian ahead of Wednesday's Premier League match
with rock-bottom Sunderland.
"He's not playing and he's helping me a lot in the changing
room, to send a right message to the players.
"He loves this club and I think it's important now to be
focused, I don't think about the future.
"I'm pleased to know the man, not only the player. I think
he's a really important player for us, if he plays or if he
doesn't play. He's our captain and he remains our captain.
It's important for me to send the right message, the right
spirit in the changing room.
"He comes with us for every game, home and away. It's
very positive. But it's better to be focused on the present. I
think John is able to do different roles in football but now
it's important to be focused, to play." Conte failed to guarantee the long-term Stamford Bridge
future of Cesc Fabregas.
The Spain midfielder has also struggled for regular games
in Conte's 3-4-3 and was taken out of the starting XI for
Sunday's 1-0 win over West Brom, despite an impressive
display against Manchester City the previous week, due to
Nemanja Matic's return from injury.
"In my experience it's very difficult to guarantee
something," he explained. "But in my opinion, Cesc is an
important player for us and he played a key match against
Manchester City.
"He came on very well in the last game and I still have to
decide the starting XI, but Cesc is always a good choice for
me. I repeat: he's an important player and he's in the
squad."

Post a Comment

0 Comments