Milik motivated to return in time for Real Madrid tie

Napoli being drawn against Real Madrid in the last
16 of the Champions League has provided
Arkadiusz Milik with increased motivation to return
from a knee injury.
Milik ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his
left knee while representing Poland in a 3-2 win
over Denmark in October and had to undergo
surgery.
Napoli are hopeful the striker, signed from Ajax for
a reported €32million in August as a replacement
for Gonzalo Higuain, will make his comeback in
January having commenced training last month.
Milik's personal target, though, is to be available
when Napoli face Real Madrid at the Santiago
Bernabeu on February 15.
Asked whether that fixture had given him
encouragement to return as swiftly as possible,
Milik said: "It's an obvious question, after this
draw it's clear that the desire to return is even
greater.
"[My knee] is really good. After two months I feel
good, but judging my condition is not up to me,
that's the doctor's job. I'm training, I'm back
running, but the doctor will decide.
"I hope to return to the pitch as soon as possible,
for January-February. I don't know when I'll start
training with the team.
"I just want to return to the pitch as soon as
possible."
Dries Mertens has impressed in a central attacking
role in Milik's absence, the Belgian helping seal
top spot in Champions League Group B with a goal
in the 2-1 victory over Benfica before scoring a
hat-trick in the 5-0 win over Cagliari last weekend.
The Poland international is proud of Mertens for his
decisive displays, but hopes to force his team-mate
back into a wide position when he is fit to return.
"He's playing really well, I'm glad. We're very good
friends, so I'm happy for him and I like seeing him
play in that position. I hope when I return he moves
to the left though," said Milik.

Post a Comment

0 Comments