Asensio: Rafa Nadal told Real Madrid to sign me

Marco Asensio has revealed how tennis star Rafael
Nadal helped to convince Real Madrid to sign him
from Real Mallorca.
The 21-year-old completed a move to the LaLiga
champions in 2015 and has established himself as
a key part of Zinedine Zidane's plans this season,
having spent last season on loan at Espanyol.
Asensio has claimed that 14-time major-winner
Nadal – born in Mallorca and a lifelong Madrid
fan – spoke to president Florentino Perez to ensure
that the transfer went ahead.
"That story is true," Asensio told Real Madrid
TV. "He called Florentino and told him to snap me
up.
"That winter [2014] my agent told me that Real
Madrid were interested in me. Several clubs were
calling and it was a bit hectic, but one day before a
game Florentino called me and said I was going to
be a Real Madrid player.
"It all happened in a single day: we went to Madrid,
I signed the contract, we were shown round the
[Santiago] Bernabeu and [the training ground
in] Valdebebas and then we went back to Mallorca
to finish the season.
"It all happened very quickly and it was intense,
but I felt a huge sense of satisfaction."
Asensio has made 37 appearances for Madrid this
season in all competitions, scoring nine goals.

Post a Comment

0 Comments