Naija to the World (Exclusive Interview with Dr Tobechukwu Joseph Okobi)



 Overview: the interview was between the editorial team of THE HORIZON and DR. TOBE an alumnus of FECAMDs AAU chapter on his experience as a medical student and how he transcended into the profession. It encompasses some of the challenges he experienced and gives cues on how he overcame them. Its an interesting tell it all and it contains salient points that cuts across all stages ranging from medical students to newly inducted doctors and then people who have intentions of practicing abroad. 

 THE HORIZON: Hello, DR. TOBE how's Florida?

DR. TOBE: Well pretty warm, its good and fine. How are you?

THE HORIZON: Im good and fine, we thank God. 

So hows work? Hows the environment?

DR. TOBE: I think corona has had its impact on a lot of things, uhm work has been pretty rough, pretty interesting as well, its been a mix of both, but we are pushing basically.

THE HORIZON: It's great to hear, so lets go down memory lane 

DR. TOBE: Yeah how backwards do you want us to go?

THE HORIZON:  your medical school, I'll like to know about your medical school experience in Nigeria.

DR. TOBE: Ok I schooled in Ambrose Alli, Nigeria. I matriculation on the 20th January, 2008 and Im not sure how much of the details you want hear, do you want hear as much specifics as possible?

THE HORIZON: yeah, as much as you can give, Im willing to listen.

DR. TOBE: Ok, so thats was my matriculation, I have an interesting story of my matriculation, so my elder brothers went to the same school, so its only rightful that they were supposed to show up for my matriculation, back then, phones werent so available as they are now, so then it was hard connecting to people in a large crowd and so it took a while to get to me since, somehow I was in one part of the school and they were in the other part, trying to find where I was and through this period, I was thinking to myself "Im going to be alone through my matriculation and nobody is going to show up".  it was later in the evening sometime around 4 /5p.m. that we got to catch up, this was after I had retired back to my hostel, oyebulem hostel for boys of course in campus, thats where I was Staying for my 100 level and then as faith will have it, they walked into my room,  met me there and you know I got excited at least somebody showed up and then we went out to take pictures, it was pretty fun moving forward but of course earlier it wasnt. That was matriculation and life started. 

so, I had gotten some basic orientation about what medical school was going to be like from my elder ones and their colleagues i had people sit me down and tell me, you have to be up and doing, for 200 level, Ok first of all it was the scare about 100 level, and if you fail one course you'll drop out or something like that, or you repeat the year, I think for us you'll repeat the 100 level and then so you know that scare, and of course 200-level was the “pre-Mb”, almighty pre-Mb year we had to prepare for and pass and all that, you know Im not sure if those scenarios still exist right now but then it was pretty frightening and so I started off,

 in 100 level we were going from campus to college, my group of  friends with whom we were staying In campus together and I, one of the most exciting things for me then, was having to walk down from oyerebulem hostel to campus gate, we actually literarily walked down every day back and forth, it was quite a Distance but it was exciting because at 7.am when were walking uphill you have a lot of the other students walking downhill right, we were like the only guys going out of campus while every other persons were coming into Campus and then because were tucked in with our ties and all, we stood out basically. we stood out a lot because, one, we were moving in the opposite direction of the traffic, two we were dressed differently here and so people knew us as the medical team basically, we were very popular back then and then I had one or two fine guys among the crew so you know, it made us stand out. So that was it we'll go to lectures comeback and then go to night class. Im not sure where that habit came from for us, but i know where it came from for me, but for some funny reason we all the cool guys who were in medicine at the time, living in oyebulem started going to night class and that became a habit for us. Along the line they were episodes where we had some gunshots events within campus, and there was this particular one, where we were in night class and then I don't know, they were gunshots, coming from somewhere around the hostel and so we had to duck our heads somewhere, anywhere, we could find and so all of that shaped my 100 level experience, it was pretty dramatic but cool. 

 I got involved with FECAMDs in 100 level, well of course my brothers where in FECAMD's already at the time, so it was easy for me to tag along but then, someone came to campus to pull us out, this was Nelson, doctor Nelson he is currently a surgeon I think in Nigeria, so he came to address us while we were in 100 level got us to bring ourselves together, that is the Catholics within the class and that's how I associated with FECAMDs, that was my 100 level story, so Ill probably stop here, so you'll ask your next question.

THE HORIZON: That was nice, if it'll make you feel any better I was alone on my matriculation too,

DR. TOBE: LOL! Did anybody come afterwards for you? 

THE HORIZON: No my family members stay far from my school so nobody could travel down AT THAT time. It was too long a distance you know, thats by the way. So lets talk about the academic part, we've talked about the fun part already. You mentioned in 100 level there was this rule that if a medical student should have an F in any of the courses he/she is taking, then the medical student is prone to repeat that whole year, So I can imagined the pressure it'll have put on student's, did this pressure ever get to you? Was there any point you said Kai! I can't do this”, not limited to your 100 level, but like your med school journey?

DR. TOBE: Yeah, as far as Im concerned 100 level was the most dramatic and the most challenging class for me for a couple of reasons, 1 it was my first exposure to a graduate school life right, so there was that scare like you rightly mentioned that you know if you failed one course you were going to repeat the entire year, already we had known that medical school was pretty long, you didn't want to add that extra year to how long you were going to spend in medical school so yes it was really scary, and yes I can relate to that 100 level scare, Im not sure if that rule still  exists right now, if it still exists right now?

THE HORIZON: It does 

DR. TOBE: Then yes it's a Scary time, but again it was scary because you know my sciences were not so strong; my maths, chemistry, physics, they werent like superb, superb. so I knew I had to do a lot of work you know, stand out basically, but I think what kept me going was the fact that I didnt have a choice, like you know you have gotten to a career path that would change your life forever. As a medical student, you know once you step your feet into the program, everybody starts calling you doctor! Doctor! or nurse or med lab scientist or you know physiologists as the case may be, everybody is branding you, what you're going to be in another three, four years or five years or six years or seven or eight depending on what and how long your program is, Im saying this because Im aware FECAMDs covers for everybody so that's why Im getting everybody in the picture, so you know you already you have begun to live out that Dream from the first day you got that admission and you told the world you're going to medical school, so you don't have a choice than to excel and I had somebody who once said "having talent is good. Add hard work to Talent then youre on another pedestal, you're going to springboard really high" right, so it goes to show that Talent is not enough, you need to work hard,  like there's a lot of hard work to be done and it is profitable, you can do the work, get your grades, you don't even need the grades, if you get the A fine, at least pass,, at least a B, a C whatever it is, just pass, I would encourage you though, for those who have prospects to travel out, those who have big academic prospects, Im sure we all do have the big academics prospects, getting the A's is priority for you,  because from the word "go", you want to begin to set your transcript, your academic records aside, you want to begin to stand out. so, well I mean that is in the long-term of course your immediate challenge is getting into  200 level, so working hard is profitable and it was for me as it will be for every other person who's currently on that path.

THE HORIZON: Thats nice, so how long did you spend in Med school in Nigeria?

DR. TOBE: Med school in Nigeria for me was 8 years, 6 academic sessions, 8 years.

THE HORIZON: Why was it 8 years?

DR. TOBE: Yeah some of the classes, where by default designed to be longer than one year and then some others by no fault of ours, turned out to become actually longer than one year, those of course that weren't supposed to be longer than, yeah, so all of that interactions we had there and there cumulatively caused us to have that long a program.

THE HORIZON: So can you recall and which exam was your hardest exam in med school

DR. TOBE: Ok my most challenging exam, whoa!

INTERVIEWER: Like, which one made you go to the Blessed Sacrament to pray?

DR. TOBE:  I did go to the blessed sacrament every single exam, every, as a matter of fact its probably one secret I would like to share in this interaction and you know I don't like to say it because I don't want God listening in and saying hey hey hey okay, so your cheating right.

THE HORIZON: LOL, Yeah

DR. TOBE: But what I used to do prior to my exams, sorry this is a deviating from the question. for every exam Ive written even up to my last exams which I wrote a few weeks ago, I make a commitment, right, I tell God, I want to do this, Im going to do this, I don't care what the outcome of this exam is, but I would do this, and Im doing this believing the outcome would be good but whether the outcome is good or not, I would do this. I started it in 100 level/200 level  and I haven't stopped doing it and it can be anything for you, it can be finance, giving up something, it can be sacrificing something, it can be committing to something, it can be I'll go to blessed Sacrament every day for the next one month, it can be our pray my Rosary every day, it can be I'll give my tithes every month or for every cash that comes in, it can be Ill give up, you know whatever it is, it has not failed me, Ive not had to repeat an exam, since I started taking exams not to say that repeating an exam makes you any less of yourself, but I just think that God has listened to that commitment I have made and its paid off.  so Ill encourage everybody to make a commitment whenever you have to, I mean you don't have to wait for exam to make that commitment because I did that every time I had to take an exam, the most challenging exam for me back to your question was I think physiology 300 level MB, it was challenging because we read heaven and earth, we were prepared and then the question came, and I didnt know one single thing that was going on, you know I mean I know sometimes, we'll say this and the next guy listening is like, ehhnnn that's how they talk, but literally I didn't know what was going on, in fact we all didnt know what was going on and we were just ticking basically, rumors had it that the questions came from the internet, the questions Came From Heaven, they extracted questions from where we don't know about, all of that story flew then and then it was also super challenging because MDCN came up with a regulation for our school, that each class wasn't supposed to be more than 50, we were way beyond more than 50 at 300 level and  moving unto 400 level we were supposed to be less than or 50 at most, this meant if you don't pass of course your gonna be withdrawn that was the first time from Mb class, you'll have medical students being withdrawn, Im not sure if that has happened moving forward, right and yes they literally withdrew people from my MB class at the time, my best friend was withdrawn and a lot of other people were withdrawn so it was pretty challenging because of all of this circumstances that surrounded us.

THE HORIZON: So what about your clinics, how was it, thats usually the first hand hospital experience, it was your first glimpse into the life of a doctor so how did was your experience? 

Dr. TOBE: Clinical experience was interesting for me because I had everything going on alright, I was FECAMDs everything including FECAMDs president, FECAMDs clinical school coordinator, I was AAU medical students everything including president in clinical school, so I had my social life, was very active and then my religious life was way active and them my academic life was up and running, going to rounds, seeing my patients, attending classes you know, striking the balance was pretty tough for me because, of course at some point I had to be in campus to see medical student, I had to be in college, I had to attend meetings here and I have to do this and I had to do that, but in clinics you begin to live out that dream, right for the nursing students who will come to the clinic for their rotations, for the medical students who will do clinical rotations there and any of the other guys which will come for rotations as well you begin to leave out the actual life, the reality of what you have chosen you begin to go to rounds, clinics, see patients and for me that is where you begin to form the doctor you will become or the nurse you will become , the anatomist or the whatever you will become,  and for me  that's where that formative phase  begins, I think its very crucial that you take it as importantly as it is presented, I know the guys make it look like one big scare and they frighten everybody, but I think your approach to it and how you look at it and how you want to live out those days really matter and so they should be taken seriously, as seriously as they are presented you know, this is real right, you're going to care for people you're going to truly, truly care for human lives, right and whatever you do at some point will matter whether or not somebody's going to survive, so yeah its just a mix of everything the scare, the fright, the fun, the excitement, the euphoria.

THE HORIZON: So I would like to look at depression in med school actually from research we noticed that It's major cause for medical students is the pressure on students, the bulky load, the stress and then another major factor is the number of years they have to spend in school you know a normal course is like 4years but in med school they can spend like 8 years, for a person without any resit and thats equivalent to getting two degrees, so how did you cope? Was there any point in your journey you felt like you were really down? How did you cope?

Dr. TOBE: Speaking about It, youre right, I personally feel that for medical students, depression is under diagnosed, I mean Im sure nobody is diagnosing depression in medical student in Nigeria, nobody really cares that much, but I think that a lot of medical students may have actually had clinical depression, not even the regular, you know we throw the word depression around but there's actually a clinical definition for depression, I think that a lot of medical students may have had reasons to be clinically depressed, because they were people who had mental breakdowns in different classes, I didn't quite have that in my class but I knew a class maybe two or three ahead of me back, people who had mental breakdowns, Im not sure what it was for them, if it was actually depression or some other things going on, so yes the medical training as it is in Nigeria throws you situations that can actually put you into depression, like you rightly mentioned the length you're going to spend in school, the volume of work you have to do, the pressure to keep up with that, the pressure to be successful not only to make yourself happy, but make your parents who are ready bragging about the fact that you're going to be a doctor soon, so peer pressure and all of that, so theres a lot of pressure, you know so basically I agree with you entirely on that, I went through that not necessarily clinical depression, but there were times I broke down, times I shed tears, I told myself 'hey man you can't keep pushing on Like mehhn-mehnn how do we do this',  yes they were lots of these and as frequent as you can never imagine them, even now you know people assume that when you're done with medical school and everything else, it's all glory out here, yeah there are the privileges that come with becoming a doctor, the respect and so on, I've met nurses that make good cash, Of course not in comparison with the other professionals lawyers and other,  Im not making any comparisons, Im speaking because Im a doctor Im speaking for my profession, so yes, the carrier path comes with a lot of circumstances that throw you down basically, that's the truth, one of the important things is to realize that yes, theres a number of things that can cause depression,  both the regular depression and clinical depression we all have to keep that the back of our minds, every medical student has to know this, every Doctor has to know you have to know that this process youre going through is going to come with those situations or times you feel like  giving up, with that acknowledgement it will help you prepare for those times. for me I was privileged because like I earlier mentioned I had brothers in medical school, Blood Brothers who set the path  for me and who were there for me and by extension all their classmates I know, I know every single  colleague of theirs and they knew me. So I took advantage of that I had shoulders to cry on and people to call and cry without shame, that I didnt know what to read and exams where coming, I remember once Dr.EFOSA, he is a pediatrician right now, he was in his finals and I was in 3/400 level I used to go from ebhoakhala mopol junction an extreme of ekpoma to college to read. I don't know why I was doing that, but it was the most convenient to me at that time because I felt I could read better, it was expensive, it was stressful, but I felt thats where I connected better, so one day I met him and I was like chief ehhn I want to quit I want to stop and he said "if this would make you the doctor you want to be then keep doing it, it'll only cost you money and time now, but it would yield you results that'll make the difference",  Im not sure he'll remember this now, but I hope he gets the chance to read this and hear those words , because those words made the difference and I kept going to college, even up to final year, because i could connect, so in summary first acknowledge that the process can be stressful sometimes we want to bear the burden alone, out of no choice of ours, maybe we really dont know who to talk to or we think we have it under control, for me I realized it wasnt something I can carry on my own and thats how medical school is. You have to find people who will serve as your support and be ready to reach out to them humbly when you need help. Sometimes you get replies you dont want to hear sometimes you get what you want to hear, for me I was lucky to identify those who told me things that mattered and helped and thats something that will be helpful for medical students knowing when to reach out and actually reaching out.

THE HORIZON: interesting. So lets talk about, induction, housemanship and career path afterwards. In what year where you inducted?

DR. TOBE: In February 2016

THE HORIZON: After your induction how was your housemanship? Where was it? Do you have any advice for those doing theirs or about to do theirs?

DR. TOBE: House job is a learning process, you are a medical doctor who is a learner, I made silly mistakes, which were expected its easy and cool to get lost in the euphoria of wanting to be in charge but it is structured in a way that you are in a team, it is stressful, mine was, its a lot of work, enjoy the euphoria of being a doctor, med lab scientist but keep an open mind and learn as much as you can learn. This cannot be over emphasized because moving forward thats your only opportunity to learn all of those things, this foundation will determine the kind of doctor youll be. For those who have big dreams and want to have big successful careers ahead of them who dont exactly know what they want to do or specialize on, your house job year is the year to plan, it was the year I did virtually most of all the things I needed to do to be where I am now. Those in finals ready to start house job and al, this is the time to begin to interact with people, and discover where you're headed, get a mentor or whatever you want to call it, it's a crucial part of the process we are not so big on mentorship back home but you need it, interact so you can get the information you need, like exams to write etc. housemanship year is the year you say to yourself, I want to save for this exam, I  want to find out the specialty I want to do or have a flair for, if you havent already decided and many more. Its a critical year for interns, this is not to say if you dont figure it out in your house job you are lost no, you can always do that later. I listened to a lot of my mentors and it paid off.

THE HORIZON: Theres a saying that medical school life is different from practicing medicine, what was your first blow? Or when did you first realize this?

DR. TOBE: I think for me it was realizing the responsibility that was on my shoulder the moment the first patient I ever had walked into my clinic and then I looked around there was no junior or senior reg, no consultant, and the patient was seriously baring out her problems to me like, I have this, this and this. here was I, young me now, meaning I was way younger then, so one would assume a 30 year old patient speaking to a 15 year old boy who was looking so serious like he knew what he was doing, so that moment of realizing people tell you what they would have never told another person and expect responses, treatments, answers to their questions that would make a difference. So it hits you that this is what it is about. You have to think about how med school was for you at this point, you need to recall what you were thought, how you dodged questions and classes and maneuvered everything because as funny as it seems theyll come in handy for example, I had patients who threw questions at me that I didnt know, theres no escape route, theres no phone, nothing, just you and the patient, so what do you do? At this point you need to have a trick like can I take a second to check if the drugs Im about prescribing to you are available? Ill be back to you shortly; you just have to maneuver your way to survive somehow, so yes if you realize the responsibility on you as a medical doctor then youll make less mistakes and because youll begin to learn this interaction early. Another thing is in medical school you are not even taught dosing or brands you are taught generics, so on your first day as a doctor you could write generics or brands but you must write dosing, for example tab amoxycilin 500g dd or Tds or whatever but as a fresh out medical school doctor you don't know this, but you get to learn it, So when this realization hit you hard, then youll make some mistakes but the key is realizing on time and studying your environment, not just going to bed and chilling, you have to put in the work to be a better clinician, because you realize that youre going to have patients and you're going to have interactions, the patients are going to have questions which they need answers for and every day you get to work without knowing what youre going to see that day, so you have to be prepared.

THE HORIZON: So about the exams afterwards is there any exam you write after your housemanship? To become a registered doctor or something like that?

DR. TOBE: No, once youre done graduating in a country for example Nigeria, Nigerian students once they graduate are licensed to practice medicine in Nigeria. American medical school graduates are licensed to practice in America, but if you want to practice in another country for example a Nigerian medical school graduate wanta to practice in America then youll write their council exams for their medical licence like I didnt have to do it for Nigeria but I did it for the US when I came in to practice.

THE HORIZON: So when did you realise and decide you wanted to migrate, what prompted you to?

DR. TOBE: Well like many others, it was a quest for a better life and a quest for a better career. You know we have bright minds, brains and unique intriguing minds in Nigeria, but its pathetic that the policies do not encourage this brilliance and ingenuity. So I had friends who frequently travelled abroad growing up, so I had a feel of what it was to be over there, theyll bring gifts and Items like chocolates etc. Back and all that, Even AAU stressed us to our limits, so as way back as 400level, I didn't know what I was going to do specifically but I knew I wanted to go abroad.

THE HORIZON: through what route did you migrate, tell us about your migration process

DR. TOBE: so when I worked in Nigeria I worked in Ahmadu bello teaching hospital and they were oncology specialists, so working there propelled me to move towards oncology, in the US we have medical oncology, surgical oncology, pediatric oncology and gynecological oncology. So I began to propel towards medical oncology. So you see how my house job experience shaped my decisions as I moved upwards. So because of that oncology experience I decided to do my masters in cancer biology, so I had to get a school in the  US for my masters, Now I used the USMLE pathway, I had to take step 1, CK  although there's  USMLE CS and then step 3, a lot of exams right? I know, but it is worth it. I took the USMLE as a doctor, but I know of a medical student of Uniben who wrote it as a student. If you need mentorship, you can reach out to me, I was even discussing with my chief D r. Ab, she's a pediatrician and she's w and to too, and I know a lot of FECAMDsites here, who have told me they are willing to help mentor too. As for the plan process I don't know much about it since I didn't use it, I just know theres Plab 1 and 2.


THE HORIZON: so tell us about your USMLE Journey

DR. TOBE: so I wrote my USMLE here in the US, I got the books in Nigeria and tried to kick start reading but it was pretty hard, so I can relate when people say its not easy to read from home. I was opportune to travel here early and so immediately started reading, but if you can't do that make do with what you have, I know people who wrote their USMLE from Nigeria, in fact I know people who got their residency here in the US from Nigeria and came to the US for the first time as resident doctors, so it's not a matter of where you are but your attitude towards what you want to do.

THE HORIZON: so at what stage can a student in Nigeria write the USMLE? Is there a limit to the number of times it can be written?

Dr. Tobe: firstly, you don't want to write it more than once, think about it this way, you have over a hundred thousand people worldwide, writing this exam and it is highly competitive, you wouldn't want to get any red flag whatsoever, it's challenging and all true. I know people who had to take it twice, like I said previously taking an exam twice doesn't mean youre less than who you are, because to me USMLE is not a test of who will become a successful doctor or your level of intelligence not at all. it is an exam that is skill based, so if you have the right exam taking skills, you'll do well, whether you're smart or not. So with the right mentorship you'll know the exams to write and the right exam taking skills to prepare for it and to be successful at it, you don't necessarily need to be intelligent, I wasn't, I remember one of my classmates used to tease me saying "you, youre writing USMLE? " So all you need, is to arm yourself with a good exam taking skill and my advice for when to write this, is to be done with med school first and then write your step1 during housemanship towards the end, so you'll take your board exams and so during NYSC you'll be making plans to travel or apply for residency. It is also good to take it when you're done because, yeah their academic system and ours are different, you might not have been taught or you might not have gotten the exposure you need write the exam. But Astor the earliest time you can write it as a medical student, I don't have that information. 

THE HORIZON: So on getting to the US, what was your most shocking experience and as a foreigner in the new land how did you cope?

Dr. Tobe: So we have a name for it, all of us here call it cultural shock, that's what it is labelled as, because its actually a different culture, from the way they speak, you know, accents differ and then you probably sound like someone coming from wakanda, and the person your speaking to probably thinks you live in huts and trees. So the cultural shock is a big deal for a lot of us, for a moment you forget who you truly are, you forget you're a well-educated Nigerian who is brilliant, smart and might even be more educated than the person you're interacting with, who you're feeling inferior to because he's got an accent, even though he isn't doing or trying to make you feel that way intentionally. Our accent is different but not inferior, so that's where we miss it and assume inferiority, like I did for a while, but the earlier you break out of the inferiority role the better your path to success in the US is, because, here in the US, they are big, like very big on confidence, not arrogance, but confidence. Everybody has an accent the Caucasians, the Italians e.t.c. don't feel inferior because you do. So you have to call yourself to order and remind yourself of who you are, like, hey Im a well-trained doctor. Another thing that contributes to it, is because you don't start practicing as a doctor immediately you get there, the process of doing all the processing leaves you hoping and hoping everything goes fine and that makes you feel a little inferior, but I want every Nigerian coming out here, to know whether you have just a BSC or a masters, you're coming here armed, you're coming here ready to contribute to the society, you are smart, you are brilliant, keep your heads up and be proud.

THE HORIZON: So let's talk about staying and working there, do you enjoy it? Whats the difference between working there and here since you have done both, what makes their better.

Dr. Tobe: Yes I enjoy it, I miss home too, like I miss the liberty, the fact that I can go crazy and not be mindful that someone will call 911 on me, LOL! But a lot of things are different from back home, Americans are patriotic, very patriotic, so if you beat a traffic light be sure, someone will call the cops on you, same thing with if you drop dirt where its not supposed to be, even if its not in front of their house they'll still call, because its wrong, and they see no reason to liter, and even if your already home, the cops would show up at your door. they have reasons to be patriotic too, because even their government encourages them to be, for example you hear the politicians using phrases like "for the American people" they always say things that'll favour their people, take a look at the just passed corona period, every person that stays in America legitimately was given 1000 dollars, you know, another thing is the American people are thorough, they don't make things difficult but they pay attention to little details and thats what culminates to make the difference, as for the medical profession they are miles ahead, they have a lot of resources at their disposal, they are highly stratified, so for instance if you are a specialist in finger nails, thats all you do, you'll focus on it, that way grow your passion, skill and be the best you can be in that field, I think this stratification is also something that can be applied in Nigeria. In summary Nigeria has things that makes them better and unique and they also have too.

THE HORIZON: So rounding up lets ask the regular question, why medicine?

DR. TOBE: for me it was always going to be medicine, growing up surrounded with large medical books: grey, last etc. The only other option I knew was pharmacy suggested to me by my dad, so it was like a rope was dropped down, but as soon as I clung unto it, I knew there was no other thing I could have done. It was exciting, even though it didn't seem so initially because of the stress.

THE HORIZON: so we are concluding, is there any advice you want to share before we go?

DR. Tobe: For every catholic medical student reading this please tag along with FECAMDS, a lot of mentors I have had are from FECAMDs, alumni of cause  they had great impacts on me, Dr. Henry, Dr. Nelson, Dr. Edwards, Dr. Iyke, Dr. Ab I can go on and on. FECAMDs gives you a family to lean on, you may not see the benefits right now, it may seem like a pain in the ass going for family meetings, rosary processions e.t.c it'll pay off in the long run, the connections you'll make, the friends you'll make and so on, it cannot be overemphasized. Lastly this journey requires God and God alone. It's not about how talented you are or how skilled you are or how intelligent you are, do everything you have to do in medical school, hang out with friends, go to church, but do not forget that you are achieving what you want, because God is watching over your shoulders and protecting you, always remember your successes are from GOD and any time you fail or lose track or are at your lowest moment, its an integral part of the process, we've all been there, there'll always be a deep and a peak, so remember that the deep won't last forever and always keep in mind that there'll always be a peak, so look up to the peak. Thank you.


Post a Comment

0 Comments